A potted history of Offord Village Hall.
The idea for a meeting place for residents of the two villages of Offord Cluny and Offord Darcy, was first mooted in 1919. After various fundraising activities and meetings, a surplus army hospital hut was bought and erected next to the school in Offord Darcy. It was opened in 1921 as The Offords Recreation Hut.
In 1966, The Hut and land on which it stood were conveyed to the Offord Cluny Parish Council and was registered as a charity in 1968. The charity name for the trust remains “The Offords Recreation Hut” but it is now locally referred to as Offord Village Hall.
The original hut served the village for many years but by the early 1970s had become difficult to maintain and provide the facilities that were required. So once again the hunt was on for funds and site for a new village hall. Eventually after several years of planning, fundraising and campaigning, a new hall was built and opened in the summer of 1981, on land in Offord Cluny leased from the Ely Diocesan Board of Finance. The current lease runs until 31st May 2040.
Since that time the hall has been maintained and upgraded to ensure that it continues to serve the changing needs of the community. It is a busy and well-used facility hosting a variety of community groups including a bowls club, a senior citizens group, a gardeners’ association, the local WI, a toddlers’ group, Rainbows & Brownies, and the local amateur dramatists. The Parish Council meets in the hall and local and national elections, and other occasional public consultations/exhibitions are also held in the building. In addition, there are several regular private hirers (eg Pilates, Line Dancing) and the hall also hosts regular private parties.
A fuller history of the hall can be found here.